“This is the right time, the right platform to alleviate poverty in our region”; a resounding comment from the participants of the Regional Consultation on the Magna Carta of the Poor-Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) last October 25-26, 2019 in Provincial Complex, Pagadian City, Zamboanga del Sur.
The two-day event aimed to gather suggestions, inputs and comments on the proposed IRR of the Republic Act 11291, otherwise known as the Magna Carta of the Poor.
Around 500 representatives from the local government units attended on the first day of the said event. On the second day, 112 civil society organizations, and people’s organizations attended.
Mr. Alimar Macasindil from the NAPC Legal Unit and Ms. Jocelyn Apag, DMO IV and NAPC Regional Focal Person for Region XI led the consultation meetings.
The following were the common issues raised by the participants:
* Issues of the farmers sector with regards to the market price of the copra
* LGUs lack of marketing office to promote local products .
* To have a municipal focal person that would easily connect with basic sectors from NAPC
* Lack of Capital for livelihood projects and programs.
* A 2% cooperative development fund from IRA must be provided to LGUs.
Governor Victor Yu gave his message and support to the recently passed Magna Carta of the Poor Law. The event was also attended by 1st District Congresswoman Divina Grace Yu ,Mayor Celso A. Matias of Municipality of Bayog, Mayor Catalino Adapon of Municipality of Josepina Zamboanga Del Sur and Mayor Avelino Yrauda of Municipality of Dimataling, Zamboanga Del Sur.